Monday, October 06, 2008

The Ant and the Grasshopper

Fall weather has come to Chicago. For some reason, I am feeling cold all the time. Pocket of Bolts goes out in a short-sleeve shirt with a wind-breaker over his arm and I'm wearing polartec and a wool coat. You just have to get used to it again, he says. I'll be happy when they turn on the heat in our house. I see some sweater shopping in my very near future.

I have to say though that not having any income makes me very reluctant to spend money. I've never been a huge spender, though there have been times when the money coming out has nearly equaled the money coming in. The key, though, is nearly. I'm a strictly live within my means kind of gal. Of course being married has brought some changes to the notion. With a little adjustment the two of us can live with just PoB's income, leaving my savings as our savings. It makes good sense but it also feels... weird. I'll be glad to have a paying job again, even though we plan to continue pooling our resources. It will just be nice to feel like I'm contributing.

I've still been reading novels at a terrific rate lately, but I feel like at last I'm starting to hit my stride with work. Being on the job market, of course, counts very much as part of that work. I have different moods, but in some of them cover letters and research statements and such feel just as difficult to write as dissertation pages. In some moods they are even much more difficult. But if I stick them all in the same category--stuff that has to get done in order to move forward--it helps a lot. I aspire to be the ant rather than the grasshopper I often am with regard to work. I want to develop the skill of plodding!

No comments: