Friday, October 24, 2008

Eight Jewels

Yesterday I got a late start. I did what has become my usual morning routine--made a blog post, studied the day's hexagram (it was "Coming to Meet", heaven over wind), and then tracked down some sources. It is much easier finding things now that my files are reorganized!

Then I had an early lunch and headed down to U of C. I decided to take the red line el all the way down to Garfield and just ride the #55 bus over. I had tried it before but been a little creeped out by what I perceived to be the bad neighborhood at the red line Garfield stop. I had been assured that it really wasn't very bad, though, so I had a go. In fact, it wasn't so bad. For one thing, the bus stop was right in front of the el station. For another thing, there were lots of other "U of C types" waiting for the bus too. It was also a much faster route, clocking in at only an hour door to door.

The class was interesting as usual. Professor Blue-Eyes (as I shall call him) guided us through some oracle bones and talked about the general divination practices. As often happens to me in graduate seminars, I felt both excited/interested and a little wrong-footed as regards the things I said. Sometimes I worry that my manners aren't good.

I went home the same way as I came, and on the long uninterrupted train ride back, I actually managed to do some good dissertation research and thinking. Pocket of Bolts had a talk and reception to go to, and then after stopping by briefly at home he went out to a bar with one of his buddies. So, we were "ships passing in the night" as we call out when we have these incompatible schedules. Actually, I had a pretty productive evening, and managed to write up almost two pages based on the research I had done earlier.

Also, I made this delicious "Eight Jewels" dessert, which has become a regular favorite now that I have assembled all the ingredients: glutinous rice, sugar, candied ginger, dried fig, red dates, pine nuts, and coconut. Not quite eight "jewels" but since it's just for me, I don't mind. It was tasty!

No comments: