Saturday, October 25, 2008

Pumpkin Time

Yesterday I had to get up early and go to the Lama's reading group. I never want to go but I always love it once I get there. As usual, I got a later start than I meant to and had to bike. (That is the fastest way to get to DePaul from my house as it turns out.) We read more Zhuangzi, and just like last time, I got very excited about a possible paper I want to write on the subject--I mean, someday when I have time.

Afterward, I chatted with the Lama outside the building and accidentally made him late for his next appointment. (Oops!) We are both too busy to actually hang out, but we always have lots to say to one another.

Next, I biked back north. I was looking for the Buddha Bowl place but couldn't quite remember where it was, so ended up at Einstein Bagel instead. Then there was a fancy cupcake shop next door, so I went in to try a fancy cupcake. It was tasty but overpriced. Then I biked to the coffee-shop that PoB and I call "good Caribou" and sat there proofreading my cover letters for the next round of jobs. Actually, they needed it--many mistakes. Good Caribou is next door to a copy shop, so I went there and got the final copies made, then biked to the post office and got those sent off. That makes it a productive day right there.

Back at home, PoB and I procrastinated going to the gym but finally did make it there. Afterwards, we had the MOST delicious dinner, grocery store roast chicken (cheap quick and healthy dinner!), black rice, and a superbly tasty salad that PoB made. We watched the last episode of season 1 of Madmen, and I have to say I'm nearly won over. It's really a nicely put together show in fact.

After dinner we had meant to do a bit more work, but neither of us felt like it. So we carved our pumpkin instead. Without further ado...








After carving, PoB made roasted pumpkin seeds. He has a special secret recipe, and they were incredibly delicious. I made pumpkin pies with the inner scrapings. Usually carving pumpkins aren't so tasty, but neither of us had any complaints about this one!!

What a lovely evening it was, really lovely. Outside there was a big storm, thunder and lightning. Inside it was cozy and romantic, with good smells of roasting and baking and pumpkin.

No comments: