Saturday, October 18, 2008

Quiet Home Day

Yesterday was a good and productive day if not a terribly exciting one. After all the racing around during the week it was nice to have a quieter time. I succeeded in writing my two pages in the morning, almost painlessly. I know I'm not writing this in the most efficient way. What I should do is get all the translations done first and then figure out what to say about them as a group. What I ended up doing is having about half or a third of the translations done, and then having to do new ones as I go along. The result is that I feel like a miner: I keep working a vein until it's exhausted, and then I have to go find a new vein, build all the infrastructure, and only then get some more of the good stuff out. So I exhausted the vein and now I have to go searching for the next one, which is today's project.

Back to yesterday, though: after that and a few other small tasks, I actually made it to the gym, where I did an hour of hard elliptical in front of the TV, and then had a long relaxing sit in the steam room. I need to get back into exercising every day, not least because we're paying $2/person/day whether we go or not!! Well, took the first step yesterday.

Had a late and very healthy lunch of hummus and crudites, a toasted piece of flatbread, and some yogurt. Then I had some annoying errands to do, so I just took a book I'm reading for the Book of Changes class and rode the red line down and back, dead to the world outside the book. I also had to do some grocery shopping, since I owed Pocket of Bolts a nice dinner. At the grocery store, I noticed that pumpkins were on deep discount, so I picked one up. This turned out to make things a bit difficult, given that I had to carry that big pumpkin all the way home, together with the groceries. Somehow I managed it, but it wasn't easy!

At home I made Pissaladiere, a kind of fancy quiche, with a home-made whole wheat crust and a pretty pattern of halved grape tomatoes on top. Served with a green salad and my latest experimental dressing (caesar-esque), it was a light but pretty meal. I really like cooking, although it does take energy. I even did all the cooking dishes while I was waiting for the quiche to bake, so I felt pretty darn virtuous, but also pretty tired. We had grapes and Cool-whip Free for dessert, which is always more satisfying than I remember. Then I went to bed really early, slept deeply all night, and didn't wake up until several hours later than usual today. I guess I really needed a rest!

No comments: