Saturday, October 11, 2008

Morale Adjustments

Things have been very busy of late. I decided that it would improve my morale to sit in on some classes down at U of C, so I have been doing that twice a week. It is a HUGE improvement in my morale. It allows me to be down there enough to actually start making friends, and getting to know professors, and maybe one day I'll even make it into the library... One of the classes is taught in Chinese, which is also incredibly good practice. Of course on top of that there is job market stuff and still trying to finish up my fourth dissertation chapter, but somehow when I am feeling happier it all feels more doable.

Pocket of Bolts is very busy too. The time-line for job market stuff in his field is very much stricter. His jobs got announced on Friday, and he has to have some back and forth with his placement coordinator, but he'll probably be sending stuff out within the week rather than dragging it all out like I have been. Probably I should take a leaf from his book and send all the rest of the things out at once, but I've been dragging my feet a bit...

I put it in a good full day's work today, translated four passages and wrote about a page. That may not seem like a lot, but it was hours and hours worth of effort. The stuff I do just isn't that easy or quick!

Pocket of Bolts has sprained his ankle and has been gimping around. It is most pitiable to behold. I have just fetched the crutch from the closet in the study and now he is stumping down the hall. He says that he REALLY misses working out, and it is such a pity, we had both been making such progress and then I got too busy and he got too crippled.

No comments: