Saturday, November 01, 2008

Statehood Quarters

I have fallen off a bit in my daily posting discipline, but I have recovered in time for NaBloPoMo (National Blog Posting Month, November). Not that I can promise anything interesting. In particular, I was very useless today. There's a paleography conference going on, which I spent all day at yesterday, but I just failed to make it down there today. It was all too much. Then I spent a lot of time trying (and failing) to get a prescription filled. It turns out that if the doctor writes one number in the date slightly indistinctly, everything goes to hell. It was very frustrating, especially because the pharmacy was busy and they made me wait an hour and a half before they got around to telling me this. Meanwhile, I tried out a new coffee shop called Kahawa House. It was cute, very neighborhoody feeling. The only thing was, it wasn't our neighborhood so it felt a little odd. I didn't get any work done. In fact, I didn't do any work all day. Nowhere to go but up, from here.

On the bright side, I did a very nice shoulder focus lifting workout. For cardio tried the treadmill, but didn't like it. It shakes my head around too much. Pocket of Bolts' best man is in town, staying with us. We went to dinner at Joy's, good cheap plentiful Thai food. We (or rather PoB's friend) came up with a brilliant scheme of having statehood quarters that were the actual shape of the state and proportionately sized. Alaska quarters would rip your pockets and you'd be in danger of inhaling Rhode Island quarters. Hawaii quarters would come in sets of five and you'd have to keep them together or they wouldn't be worth anything. Washington quarters would have a lot of delicate filigree up by Puget Sound which would break off easily and invalidate the quarter if it broke off. Vending machines would have to have fifty different slots. I was practically falling on the floor laughing. It was the funniest idea I've heard in months.

No comments: