Thursday, November 06, 2008

Home with My Computer

Yesterday was such an uneventful day that I feel it necessary to give you a "paint-it-like Pollack" picture just to apologize for how uninteresting the post is going to be. The picture is an illustration of my activities such as they were, namely sitting with my computer in the house all day. I worked, I played, I blogged, I sent e-mails. I sat here like a lump. Actually it was really pleasant and relaxing. There was only one really fantastic piece of progress I made, which was to find a citation for an important quotation I wanted to use in my dissertation but was unable to because I had gotten it from a lecture in China and the lecturer didn't give a proper citation. It has taken me over a year of sporadic searching to find it, but I finally managed it!

Pocket of Bolts came home right after his class and we pretty much spent the afternoon having some quality time together. We were ships passing in the night (and in the day) for the past week--when one of us had a day off the other was busy, and vice versa. Then this morning he had to take off very early for a conference he's going to for the whole weekend. So instead of putting in an afternoon's work yesterday, we spent time together. We are such total newlyweds, billing and cooing more than ever.

Among other things, we stowed our deck furniture and our bikes in storage for the winter. We looked at the hermit crab Intrepid, who was crawling around (very rare occurrence). We chattered and cuddled, and failed to go to the gym. A nice afternoon.

In the evening, we watched TWO episodes of Battlestar Galactica, so we could finish out the disk. I made some sort of degenerate pad thai for dinner, degenerate because we were missing quite a number of ingredients (including ginger and lime!--I used green curry paste and Rose's lime juice), and had to use two different kinds of noodles to make up a full amount. Still, it was tasty. Homemade frozen yogurt for dessert. It turns out that frozen yogurt is pretty much cheaper to make than to buy. I'm still experimenting, but it's really pretty easy, especially compared to ice-cream. In this case, I mixed a 32 oz container of plain yogurt with a cup of sugar and dumped it into the ice-cream maker with a teaspoon of vanilla. Near the end of the processing, I ground up some frozen strawberries in the food processor and added them as well. It came out pretty tasty, though a bit on the too-soft side. (The ice-cream maker is old...) Pocket of Bolts thought it was a bit too "yogurt-y," which is to say, there was the slightly sour under-taste of real yogurt. I think I could get around that by using flavored/sweetened yogurt instead. That would make it even easier to make.

Anyway, now I'm baching it until Sunday. As usual, the prospect makes me both anxious and a little pleased. Sometimes I do really well when I am completely free to set my own schedule. Other times, I fall down a hole of degeneracy, play solitaire all day, stay up half the night, forget to eat or eat too much. We'll see how it goes...

2 comments:

repressed librarian said...

If I weren't going to New York tomorrow, I would suggest we get together. Maybe next time.

ZaPaper said...

Would have been fun. Oh well. Have a good time in New York!