Saturday, November 15, 2008

Friday Movie Date

This is my handsome husband in his new blazer. Doesn't it look nice?! He had gotten a somewhat similar (but not as good) blazer about a year ago, but has lost so much weight that he finally had to give up and trade it in for a different one. That's okay, the new one's better anyway. :)

Yesterday I got up early for the reading group. It went pretty well actually, surprisingly well. As usual, I didn't have many thoughts about the sort of poetry we were reading (landscape stuff, etc.), but it turned out that E.T. did. In fact, she made quite an interesting mini-lecture on one of the poems. She said she just had a lot of thoughts about it. I was really impressed by what she said. It reminds me that I should never write anyone off. You can learn something from absolutely anyone.

After the reading group, I walked some ways to get to the nearest copy shop. I had to print out my second to last job application. Yes, I've been drawing out the process as long and painfully as possible. Pocket of Bolts and I are opposite in that way. He tears the band-aid off fast, all at once. I tear it off slow, a millimeter at a time. I fully admit that his way is better, but I can't help myself.

Anyway, I got my things printed out and then walked back to the post-office, stopping on the way for a Subway sandwich and a Milky Way midnight bar. I just can't help myself. It's a food fad. I mailed off my application and then rode the red-line downtown to the library. There, if you can believe it, I actually succeeded in writing two pages of dissertation as I was supposed to. There was some procrastination in there, but what counts is that the work got done. I also learned a hexagram, "Sun", Decrease. It's an oddly positive one, I suppose because decrease very naturally leads to increase.

Pocket of Bolts met me at the library after work, and we chattered together, then wandered over to the Blick Art Supply store nearby. We get a 10% discount there, and love to wander around. I am working on a mathematical sculpture/diagram project, and was wandering around brain-storming about materials. I got some wire, but have pretty much decided that for the rest I need to visit a hardware store instead. More on this soon!

Back at home, we actually managed to get a workout in before the gym closed. I did a whole body resistance work-out, which meant lots of yucky squats and leg-press, also push-ups and back extensions. But I am getting stronger again.

Finally, to cap off an already pretty good day, we went to the late show at Brew and View, the movie theater where you can get beer instead of Coke with your popcorn. I ate a lot of popcorn, which was bad of me. Pocket of Bolts ate even more popcorn. (But at least we'd made it to the gym.) The movie was Burn After Reading, which was not nearly as amusing as the preview suggested. It had its good moments, but it was really hard to decide how to feel about any of the characters, and the tone felt very inconsistent. It was set up like a comedy, but it as too painful to be really funny overall. On the other hand, the denouement was pretty amusing. In any case, the fact that it wasn't a great movie did not at all reduce the enjoyment of our date. We like going on dates so much. If we had more time and money, we'd surely do it every weekend!!

2 comments:

comebacknikki said...

Burn After Reading was a huge disappointment. It had so much potential and some funny moments, but as my friend said, it just ended up turning into a "giant clusterfuck."

ZaPaper said...

Totally agree. I think killing off the peppy guy confused the tone a lot. He was supposed to be a bubble-head but he was too likeable for his death to be all that funny. The only thing I did find somewhat amusing was the higher level intelligence people's discussion... but that was, what, a total of 10 minutes...?