Sunday, November 02, 2008

Kafka Under the Wire

This post is entirely for the sake of having one on November 2. I will blog the actual day I had tomorrow morning, which is a much better system for me. For now, in the seven minutes I have remaining, I will just say that I've been reading up a bit on Kafka. This is for the sake of a certain application I'm working on, not for my dissertation thank god. The first thing to say is that when I thought about The Castle (probably the Kafka work I know the best) a great heaviness came over me as I remembered those times when I was studying it so intensively. So much modernist literature has a cruelty in it, toward the characters, the readers, the whole framework of reality. Then, reading some basic theoretical takes on various of the shorter works, I also remembered how fascinating Kafka is. He created a dark world but it is a whole world, a true microcosm that has room for as much as the real world has room for, but in miniature. I remembered the dark and interesting times I had when Kafka was about all that was rattling around in my brain. I came up with an idea or two. But my time is nearly up. More on my day when I get up tomorrow morning!

No comments: