Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Today is My Birthday

I have spent the past two days at my first-ever Chinese academic conference, which deserves its own post. I'll get on that tomorrow. As you might imagine, there's a lot of whining I could do at this moment if I were of a mind to. Let's just stay it will not go down on the list of especially stellar birthdays. But my birthday has always been at a difficult time of year, the post-Thanksgiving slump, exam time during high school, usually cold and dreary and busy.

On the other hand, after spending all those hours in a hotel, in a high state of tension, my apartment really feels like a home. And I know I have a present or two in the mail coming soon--possibly even today and I missed it by not being here; I'll check for a package slip tomorrow. My room is warm. My fellow gave me a sweet digital present, and in just two weeks will be here in the flesh. I have half a lemon and much vitamin C to help me nurse the cold I've caught. I have a lot of different things to give to LGs when I see him tomorrow afternoon. And I don't even have to get up before dawn tomorrow (I was starting to get used to it).

I'm a year older, and I can say without hesitation that it has been an incredibly eventful year, a year where I made progress in ever so many ways. Not especially comfortable--rarely if ever comfortable!--but I've done lots of growing. I do feel kinda old. Mao Zedong and I overlapped in the world, albeit not by much. That's something I have over Chinese kids today, ha ha.

Anyway, the above pictures are from the beautiful garden attached to the fancy hotel where I've been. I have many more, which I will post tomorrow together with an as-candid-as-I-dare account of the event itself. 'Til then...

5 comments:

comebacknikki said...

Happy birthday! :)

Repressed Librarian said...

Happy birthday!

It is a shame that growth always has to be so darned uncomfortable, but it is better than the alternative.

comebacknikki said...

ARG! I hate blogger beta! The above comment was from me, but it registered under my beta account. Grrrrr!

Happy birthday! :)

Andrea said...

Sheng ri kuai le!

ZaPaper said...

Thanks for the happy birthdays all. Comebacknikki--it's okay. I could have guessed that starryfish was you. :) RL, you are right on about growth, that's the story of this year in a nutshell. Andrea--thanks for coming by. It's awesome to "meet" you and, wow, congratulations on selling your house and good luck with the future new family member!