Sunday, November 12, 2006

Quietly Productive; Blue Socks!

No trouble keeping my promise to write a shorter post. Almost nothing happened yesterday, in terms of blog-worthy events. I talked with Colin on Skype for an unusually long time because we got into a lovely discussion about some of his lectures. After having such a good, long, and satisfying talk, I was somehow able to settle down quite well and did practically a record amount of dissertation-writing, more than five double-spaced pages or, let's see, for those of you who count words it's about 1800. That does include quotes but doesn't include footnotes, so I figure it's fair. It's the first productive streak I've had in quite a while, and I felt so proud. And decently good stuff too. I always discover things as I write, and in this case felt particularly satisfied with my discoveries. I am almost done with my long long chapter 2, at least its first draft.

It was late afternoon before I came to a good stopping place, and since I'd only had bread and instant soup for lunch, I decided to treat myself to a good Korean dinner. I went to the restaurant beside the ring road bridge, and had a big dish of bulgogi and vegetables. It was not easy, but I managed to eat the whole thing (I think it was sort of a two-person portion). Well, I was hungry! On the way home, I had some bubble tea as well, which I think of as tapioca tea because it has big marble-sized tapioca-like black "pearls" in it. A sort of eating+drinking experience all in one. I had never had it warm before, but I can now attest that it is good warm.

And then I came home and read and wrote blogs all evening. Such a quiet day, but I'm not complaining. If I had more days like that, I might actually manage to write a dissertation.

On the way in from dinner I checked my mailbox and in it was a package from my mum! Thanks for the socks mum, here is me wearing them. For some reason, I adore them especially. Ambivalent thanks for the novel, The Mercy of Thin Air. I'm not saying it isn't fascinating, because unfortunately it is. I'm just saying, it was probably really bad of me to stay up until 3 AM reading it. New rule: no more reading fiction at bedtime!! Although on the other hand, what are Saturday nights for if you can't do something ridiculously foolish once in a while?

No comments: