Saturday, November 11, 2006

Linguist Quiz

What American accent do you have?
Your Result: The Midland

"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.

The West
Boston
North Central
The Inland North
The South
Philadelphia
The Northeast
What American accent do you have?
Take More Quizzes


Question: was the Pacific Northwest even an option here? Or does America for this person only mean stuff east of the Rockies? Just curious. But obviously I don't have an accent. I talk normal! (Except in Chinese, where I suppose I still have a "midland" accent, but they just call it American. :P) But it's good to see in confirmed. What about you?

3 comments:

rslomkow said...

I also show up as midland.

Though for the word "vase" I say "Vawz" instead of something that rhymes with "case" which I have been told is not appropriate.

ZaPaper said...

I am thinking that the accent quiz picks up subtle influences, temporary residences, and so on. My mom, who has lived indefinitely on the west coast, did get west. But you and I, who have moved around a lot, got the anonymous colorless midland of any big city. Isn't it interesting?

As for vawz, it must be your deeply hidden blue-bloodedness coming. I consider that an aristocratic pronunciation. Not inappropriate, just kinda highfalutin.

We all have phono/lexical quirks, though. Two of mine, not noticed by the quiz, are: for me (and my brother), "pillow" rhymes with "mellow" instead of "willow"; and "milk" rhymes with "whelk" instead of "ilk". Go figure, huh?

syd peterson said...

that quiz said i have a boston accent. i definitely don't.

i think i still have my oregon accent, which means part surfer and part widwestern. robin had it too and i dont think he lost so much of it.