Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Butterfly: Malachite


Here is my next draft butterfly. It is still not perfect, less symmetrical than I meant it to be, and I have to think some more about the underside and how to deal with the fact that the origami pattern is far from anatomically correct. Still, I felt fairly pleased with it.



It's interesting to note that the undersides of the wings have a quite different tone, a sky-blue color that doesn't appear at all on the top. After thinking about it for a long time I decided that this must be because when seen from the top by predators it would camouflaged against leaves and soil, but when seen from underneath by predators it would be camouflaged against the sky.


This is the unfolded paper. This butterfly pattern was modeled on Siproeta stelenes. Some of the web photos I looked at are here and here. Also here.

By the way, new Book Draft post here.

No comments: