Thursday, January 15, 2009

Nostril-Chunking Cold

It's about 8 below right now, and it's been "bitterly cold" all day. A good day to stay home in pajamas, which is pretty much what I did. According to weather reports, it's the coldest it's been here since 1999. Although our apartment is well-heated, even in here I can feel the cold creeping unless I'm sitting very close to one of the radiators or am very bundled up. It's scary when the forecast for tomorrow is "MUCH WARMER": high of 7, low of 5. Yeah. Much warmer. By my calculations, tomorrow will still be "nostril-chunking cold," which means that when you breath in your nose hairs start to freeze into chunks of ice. It tends to happen anytime the temperature is in the single digits or lower.

Pocket of Bolts is out of town this weekend and I've been even more sluggish than I usually am when he's gone. Not even any of my little projects appeal to me, let alone my work. I did manage to put in a couple hours on the dissertation over the course of the day, write an e-mail or two, but not a whole lot of progress. Mostly I want to sit around and watch movies online, or read novels. I really have to shake off this lassitude. Maybe tomorrow.

I did make it out to the gym, though I almost froze my buns off. And note, the gym is right next door, less than five minutes walk. I decided I wasn't up for going to the grocery store to get anything special for dinner, so made do with what we had: fried up some diced yukon gold potatoes in olive oil, with coarse salt and pepper; sauteed peppers and onions to put over a boca burger, melted cheese on top. Sort of like a burger and fries, but healthier. Actually, it felt like a rather princely feast--I mean, as far as cooking for one is concerned.

Keep meaning to write a bit about my most recent trip to the East Coast, and about the Book of Changes, but it hasn't been happening. Yeah, again, maybe tomorrow.

No comments: