Monday, January 12, 2009

My Barbarian Husband

I have a fondness for Portmeirion botanic garden dishes. It's something that Pocket of Bolts indulges me in. I can't say I really approve of myself in this regard; I'm not even sure I approve of the design. But there's something about each different dish having a different picture--and anyway I'm really fond of botanical prints, which is their style. Naturally the dishes are a bit girly but Pocket of Bolts consents to use them (we have a set of two of most basic things); he says botanical prints cross out of the realm of TOO girly.

Now PoB usually drinks his morning coffee from a Starbucks Chicago mug, but that was unavailable for some reason. So he grabbed a Portmeirion daisy coffee mug to go with his dog rose plate (picture at right). Sitting at the breakfast table with him I had to giggle. "You look like such a big barbarian, eating with those dainty flowery dishes," I said.

He laughed too and lifted up his big fist over the plate. "Oog, bee, smash!" he said in caveman intonations. (I guess the bee is kind of prominent.) Pocket of Bolts is fun. There is a lot of stress and uncertainty right now, but we still manage to have our good times.

No comments: