Thursday, January 01, 2009

The First Day

Hello 2009. New Years day is usually a holiday I'm rather fond of. I try to make it a model day, usually, the sort of day I'd want to have all year. This year though--well, I'm leaving again very early tomorrow morning. All this traveling reminds me of the time when I was a consultant... I'm even bringing along a suit, although this time it's purely an interview suit.

I've spent most of the day in preparations, or avoiding preparations. It's really hard putting together syllabi, but I really am doing the best I can. The dissertation spiel is even harder. I finally raised the courage to perform it in front of Pocket of Bolts, which did help.

We threw the Yijing today. I got 比之坤, "Holding Together" changing to "The Receptive." I stick with my man and take what he gives me? Or I become a professor but maintain a humble attitude? The Yijing is merely a mirror of the mind; it knows no more than I do, and I am in profound ignorance about the future. Pocket of Bolts got 升之蠱, "Pushing Upward" changing to "Work on What Has Been Spoiled." His is more obviously interpretable than mine: he is ambitious and has a lot of work ahead of him, but mustn't expend effort blindly, and must repair past damage.

There is more I could write but there's still much left to do before I sleep so I'll sign off for now. Happy New Year everyone.

No comments: