Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Whirlwind

I spent last Wednesday and Thursday back in grad school town. It was a last minute decision to go: I got a cheap ticket from priceline only a few days before and took off. I managed to meet with two professors, four grad student friends (separately), one non-grad student friend, and two grad student non-friends; I also attended a reception, attended a job market information meeting, and coped with two six AM flights, the second one involving me staying up all night Thursday because of how far grad school town is from the nearest major airport. As a person who deals less and less well with stress, I found it overwhelming, but I did somehow survive even enjoyed parts of it in a breathless and intense way. Anyway, it was really good that I went.

Since then, I have been working as best I can. Job applications are coming due very soon. I am sweating most now over the cover letter. My self-promotion spigot never put out very generously and now it seems to be broken. I guess I've finally found the one thing that's more stressful than working on my dissertation. Writing seems (relatively) pleasant by comparison. Not much else to say for now.

No comments: