Saturday, August 23, 2008

Social Marathon Continues

Dinner for six chez Zapaper:

Hummus and tapenade
Cheese
Rye crackers and pita triangles
Watermelon wedges
Spanakopita
Salade nicoise (minus fish)
Stuffed peaches

Pocket of Bolts did most of the cooking, I should say right off. I had sole responsibility for the dessert, which turned out okay but would have been much much better with ice-cream. I'll have to remember that. The salade nicoise, which we hadn't made before, turned out really pleasant and interesting, much hardier than the green or Greek salad we usually serve, and more interesting at least to me.

It was one of those dinner parties where you get behind and then pray that the guests arrive fashionably late. Instead, they arrived 10 minutes early, leaving PoB and I taking turns dashing around to change out of filthy sweat-soaked clothes while the other cut up pitas and poured drinks. The floors were supposed to get mopped but didn't. The spanakopita could have been baked in advance (so the oven wouldn't have to be heating up the house) but wasn't. It was a hotter day than we'd thought it would be, and we have AC only in our bedroom. But within those constraints, the party was moderately successful.

We got to use our new wedding dishes. PoB did most of the talking and I did most of the bustling around (I like it that way). That makes it a little hard though for me to evaluate whether they had a good time. Anyway, it was PoB's colleagues and whether or not they had a good time, I feel that our duties were discharged. Everyone left a little on the early side, but it was quite hot in the place and I would have been inclined to too...

This was Thursday. Yesterday I got to meet another blogger, Repressed Librarian. ComeBackNikki made the arrangements (yay CBN!), and it was a really fun time for me. I realize how little time I spend with other women. I mean, of course it's related to how little time I spend with other people generally, but hanging out with women is quite different from hanging out with guy friends--the kinds of things you do and talk about--even with people who, in some sense, I just met, it felt really relaxing and good. Although I was slightly haunted by the worry that I was repeating things they already knew from my blog. Probably I did, but they were patient.

Another newsworthy event was that I ate a cupcake. It was an Almond Joy cupcake, and I already forgot the name of the bakery, but getting to eat a cupcake was bliss. I worked out yesterday, but did not even try to count points. PoB and I are both slipping a little in this regard...

Last night, because we just haven't been having enough excitement lately (ha ha) we went to a movie night hosted by one of my former office-mates. We came in time for half of Muppets' Treasure Island and watched all of Team America: World Police (made by the creators of South Park). Both absurd and funny, with a good measure of offensive thrown in. Unfortunately, the host had a case of food-poisoning which made it all a little surreal. We were drinking beer and eating pizza, while he was nibbling toast and periodically disappearing into the bathroom for extended periods of time. The thing about a movie night is that the show can go on with you or without you, so it was fine. Still, he wasn't quite his usual jolly self!

Today we have been very extremely lazy. It's incredibly hot and muggy and I have simply camped out in the bedroom with the AC on. PoB tried to hold out in the living room but gave up after a while. We're going to a party later tonight, the last item on the social calendar until next weekend, but we apparently don't have energy for anything else until then!

No comments: