Thursday, August 21, 2008

Concentrated Socializing

I have been lame about blogging. Also for that matter about cleaning--presumably having used up all my enthusiasm on the blog post, I promptly lost enthusiasm for doing it in real life. That's okay, today's the day for a whole-house cleaning. Because... this is marathon socializing weekend. Starting yesterday.

Yesterday, my friend from high school, R*, was in Chi-town with his wife T and it was his birthday. They usually live in Berlin, but they travel a lot. It was a rare treat to see them here! Actually, they used to live in Chicago, so they know more about the city than I do. A group of us went to the Chicago Pizza and Grinder Company, a place I have never been before. Tasty Mediterranean bread and salad, followed by a funny inverted bowl pizza, also tasty. Also, most of the people in the group I had never met before, friends of R*'s from various times and places who happened to be here or who live here. Somehow it was all the more jolly for me because of that though. R*'s enthusiasm for people, pizza, and life in general removed any anxiety I may have had.

After eating way too much, I ended up walking for a long time with the slowly diminishing group--nearly two hours! There was so much to say and chatter about. It reminded me very much of an earlier period in my life. Also made me wish we lived closer to R* and T; they are such fun people, a barrel of laughs. Pocket of Bolts and I are going to R* and T's wedding (marriage celebration technically since they're already legally married) in a week or so. That's in the Bay area, a mini-vacation in the last little bit the summer.

Today, though, the project is having two pairs of PoB's colleagues over to our house for dinner. It pretty much strains our capacity for entertaining, but at least we have an adequate supply of matching dishes. So today it's mostly house-cleaning and cooking, with a bit of work thrown in, in the early hours.

No comments: