Friday, September 28, 2007

An Adventure at 3 AM

Two nights ago, Pocket of Bolts woke me up at three in the morning by coming in the bedroom door and saying, "What happened to me?!"

"I don't know, love," I said. "What happened to you?"

"I woke up on the couch in the study."

"Why were you sleeping on the couch in the study?" (I started wondering in a frantic three AM way whether I had been snoring loud enough to chase him out? grinding my teeth? or did I kick? hog the bed?)

"I don't remember going there at ALL," he said lying down and looking extremely puzzled.

"Pocket of Bolts," I said ponderingly. "There was a lot of stuff on the couch in the study. How did you...?"

Then I had to get up and go into the study. The dissertation impedimenta (books, papers, note-cards) that usually lives on the couch in the study was neatly lined up in discrete piles along the foot of the couch. The couch itself had nothing on it but one lonesome pillow minus pillow-case, and a Pocket of Bolts shaped indentation.

"You were sleeping there all right," I said, going back into the bedroom.

"Now I'm worried," Pocket of Bolts said, and got up to check that the stove was off and the doors were locked and that in general there were no bizarre displacements in our rattly big nest. All was as it should be. Apparently he had not robbed any banks.

PoB's family on his father's side are notorious sleepwalkers. Once his grandmother saw one of his uncles sleep-walking through the house in the middle of the night. She followed him to see what he would do. Eventually he went into the pantry and started peeing on the potatoes!

Now I always tease PoB and ask him if he is going to pee on the potatoes.

As near as we can figure, he had got up to go to the bathroom, but got confused on the way back to bed, went into the wrong bedroom, tidily put the stuff from the couch off onto the floor, lay down there--never mind that the "couch" (just a futon couch) is hardly big enough for him to lie down on--and went right to sleep. But he didn't have a blanket even, so he was pretty cold when he came back to bed!

The odd thing was that, light sleeper though I am, I never even noticed--either that he'd got up or that he wasn't there in the bed.

Ha, I was probably getting some really good sleep. :P

(Just kidding, Pocket of Bolts.)

No comments: