Sunday, May 27, 2007

Portrait of Zapaper in Coffee

Some days ago, I decided that what my dissertation needed was an infusion of caffeine.
Though I am to some mild extent a caffeine addict, my drug of choice is usually tea, and generally not more than a cup or two a day. But then sometimes I get to thinking, I bet I could get so much more done if only I had more energy!

Fortunately, I had just received a bag of Abyssinian coffee from my dear families, and decided to put this plan into action. But of course, I ended up monkeying around with my camera instead.


As usual when I try this trick, it worked swimmingly for a day or two. Then I started getting caught up in the strange reversal effect, where no sooner would I drink a strong cup of coffee then I would immediately pass out and sleep like the dead for half an hour. Go figure. Coffee does funny things to me. Including turn me upside down and make me look a little blurry. But aren't I also a marvelous portrait of dissertation-writing determination?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I get the reversal effect with coffee too - I thought I was the only one :-) I have to ration my use - one appropriately timed cup does wonders - beyond that, and I want a nap...

ZaPaper said...

I bet there's a gene for it. Ah future wonders yet to be discovered. Btw, if you don't see a reflection in the cup, try upping the brightness of your monitor and/or looking at it from a slightly different angle... magic!

Anonymous said...

LOL! Did my use of the word "reversal" suggest I hadn't seen the image? Sorry - wasn't thinking about the ambiguity.

Been meaning to mention for a while, as long as I'm here, how much I enjoy your writing. I don't comment often because my university firewall dislikes blogger comments, and I don't often post from home. I do read regularly though (the uni firewall seems to have a "look, don't touch" philosophy...), and enjoy the site.

ZaPaper said...

Thanks! I actually put the note on there because my mom who complained there was no image, so I worried that other people wouldn't either. But actually your use of the word reversal suggested you did see the image and were making a clever double entendre, which I gave you credit for. LOL!

Anonymous said...

All my best double entendres are completely unintended... ;-P (I got an email from someone about a year ago, mentioning that they had been afraid to post at my site for some time because, you know, someone who would name their site rough theory must be the sort who would beat people up. Until then, this interpretation had never occurred to me - the original concept for the site name started as "Theory in the Rough", and changed to "Rough Theory" only because the URL was shorter... ;-P I'm obviously slow on the uptake with potential alternative meanings... ;-P)

ZaPaper said...

LOL! Theory DOES very often seem to be used as a bludgeon. One of the things I really liked about your site is the civil and reasonable tone you all seemed to take.