Wednesday, May 16, 2007

A Big Wind Blows

A huge wind has been blowing for two days.

Since the arrival of summer, I have slept with my windows open, and this is the second morning that I was awakened by the curtains blowing wildly and knocking things off my desk.

Despite making life feel even more hectic and chaotic than usual, the wind improves the climate considerably as far as I'm concerned. First, it blows away all the pollution that usually hangs all over this city. Who knows where it blow it to, but that's someone else's problem. Second, it prevents the city from becoming the 90+ degree oven it has been lately when there's no other weather. Apparently that's the default temperature for this time of year, and I despise it.

Unlike the dreaded Beijing sandstorms, this is a cleanish clearish wind. The mountains are clearly visible outside my window, with benignly puffy white clouds above them. It's fun to look out and watch flying pigeons banking madly to avoid being smashed into the towers of my apartment complex. It wrecks havoc on the carefully composed hairstyles of woman, which as a short-haired person who rarely even remembers to comb her hair, I find amusing and satisfying. (That "wind-blown look" is not much different from my normal look, maybe even an improvement.)

I'm afraid I don't have much else to report. If I were to write down my days they would look like: work work procrastinate work work go to class procrastinate. That's about it really. I have decided to try to give up eating desserts and reduce as much as possible on other sweet things like yoghurt and pre-sweetened beverages (read: bubble tea). It's actually easier to do in China than in other places, 'cause the desserts aren't really worth eating anyway most of the time. We'll see how successful I am, but that's the plan anyway.

Aside from that, nothing much to say. More catch-up posts from the ever-more-distant past soon--oh, and my promised words on Beijing restaurants.

No comments: