Thursday, April 19, 2007

Hike at Devil's Lake

The next day was chilly and overcast, but that's good hiking weather. We took off for Devil's Lake. There I took far too many pictures to post here.

Here's the view from near the bottom. The place was still wearing winter weeds despite it being the end of March. I gather they have hard winters here and late springs.



Here's Pocket of Bolts looking like nature's child.


And me looking oddly tall in front of a tumble of boulders.



One of the highlights of this hike, and maybe the whole trip, turned out to be our antics climbing up into Devil's doorway, a neat rock structure that wasn't all that high but was kind of awkward to get up into. After some hesitation, I post a certain highly undignified picture of myself which Pocket of Bolts gleefully snapped while I had both my foot and shoulders stuck somehow. It took me quite a bit of time to sort myself out and crawl through this little hole up into the doorway. Oh, so Freudian.





Pocket of Bolts had a harder time, since he was too big to go in through the little hole. Neither of us are real rock climbers, since our body types are wrong for it, but I think climbing this tiny "cliff" we started to get a sense of why people find it so thrilling.






Here's us resting peacefully on a boulder overlooking the lake.


And Pocket of Bolts goofing around (at my instigation, I hasten to add) in front of Balanced Rock.



I took so many more pictures than I can post here, but here's one I really liked.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know if you were reading my blog back then, but comebacknikki and I had quite an adventure at Devil's Lake back in October: http://repressedlibrarian.com/?p=296

(The photos are all messed up since I moved over from Blogger, but you can read about the trip anyway, if you want.)

I'm glad you made it back down those scary rocks safely.

Andrea said...

I saw another picture of Devil's Doorway recently. You can't quite see it in your pictures, but it seems like the rocks on the top of the doorway are balanced *quite* precariously!

comebacknikki said...

I came over here to write an almost identential post to RL's!

I wrote about Devil's Lake/posted pics here: http://comebacknikki.blogspot.com/2006/10/another-fabulous-trip.html

Did you climb up the rock trail? We ended up going down, which I think was much worse. We were the only ones going down!

ZaPaper said...

Hi rl and cbn! I did remember your posts, when I was about halfway up. I was thinking to myself, don't some of these scenes look familiar...? Yeah, I definitely recommend going UP the trail with the boulders rather than down it. It's much easier to follow that way I think, based on what I remember about your experience. We really didn't have any trouble with it. I think we went down the "Potholes" way, and it was quite clear. Still a tiring hike, though!

Andrea, y'know, I didn't think to look at the rocks at the top. Ha ha! Live dangerously.

ZaPaper said...

Btw, we chose such a cold and unpromising day to go that we were the only ones there period! Which in itself was kind of cool.