Sunday, April 29, 2007

Worlds of Cheese

For the rest of the time we were in WI Dells, we availed ourselves of the local activities. I would like to say that we did this in an ironic and sophisticated way, but actually we were about 90% naively delighted. For example, we drove out into the middle of nowhere to watch cheese getting made. I'm not kidding, it was miles and miles on progressively tinier roads, until we finally arrived...


Don't quote me on this, but I believe these two gentlemen were named Lester and Earl. The first picture is them tossing slabs of protocheese into the middle so this robot slicer arm could cut it up. The second picture is them tossing chopped up cheese bits with their pitchforks, possible to mix in the salt.



Lamentably, we had to buy LOTS of cheese and cheese-curds. Okay, no one was twisting our arm, but it was all right there, and cheese is (even though it shouldn't be) a staple of Pocket of Bolts' vegetarian diet, and of mine when I'm with him.

I'm not sure if we'd ever had cheese curds before, but they were totally delicious. PoB still liked them the second day, but I wasn't so sure. We got started talking about whether deep fried cheese curds would make sense, and realized that we were getting into deep trouble as far as our resolution to eat sensibly was concerned...

Here is some local scenery, with Amish buggy.

4 comments:

StyleyGeek said...

Oh my god, deep fried cheese curds would be AWESOME! (I tried microwaving them once, and that was pretty good).

Andrea said...

I'm so afraid to ask what "protocheese" is...

ZaPaper said...

Microwaved cheese curds! Did you have the experience we did (putting them in an omelette)--that they don't melt? Cheese curds are weird.

Andrea, you should totally to go Carr Valley Cheese factory and find out. They have an informational video and it's only, like, 3 hours from nowhere!

Off the top of my head, I think protocheese is drained curdled milk with some stuff in it. But hey,that's not as bad as it sounds. Ever had Indian food with paneer in it? That's sort of protocheese. I made it a couple times--you dump a gallon of whole milk through cheese-cloth. Yum.

comebacknikki said...

Deep fried cheese curds are SO amazing! In my college town, almost every restaurant offered them - and most of restaurants delivered (how convenient)! I miss cheese curds!