Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Colors Soft and Bright, the Beauty of It

I had no idea Hong Kong was like this. No wonder the British were so sorry to let it go!

Though strictly speaking this is outside of Hong Kong proper, at a university campus.

The sunrise glow (oh, and the fact that the walls are paper-thin) woke me up early even though I had stayed up late. I went straight out to take pictures.




I wasn't the only one with that idea. My kindred spirit had a bigger camera than I did, but we were both on the same wavelength.

Later he joined me for breakfast, as did the history professor from the night before and one of my fellow dissertation writers in Beijing. I felt--not isolated! What a change. I felt like these were interesting people, with whom I actually had things to talk about.

I wish I could write more about the day, but I am just dropping with tiredness. Instead, here are some pictures as a preview. The next entry will probably be more texty--if I can find the time and energy.

Some of the buildings on campus:





I've never seen a campus quite like this. The view reminded me a little of "our lake" (though of course less flat!), and a little of the beautiful Oregon coast--but more warm and tropical than both. Clean air, moist sea-breeze, flowers blooming...




Islands at sunrise, islands at noon...




I followed with my camera a hawk that circled and circled. It's hard to tell from these, but it looked enormous!



No comments: