Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Small Changes

Sunday, at least most of it, was as unproductive as Saturday was productive. By 10 AM I sensed the hovering doom of unproductivity, so I decided I needed to go out of my apartment for a bit. I went to buy groceries. This qualifies as THE adventure of the weekend, unless you count intellectual adventures. It's not saying much.

On the way in I noticed that the overpriced yarn store had a sale on an unpopular color that I actually liked (dark reddish brown) so I bought some. Still on the expensive side, but I decided to treat myself. I'm going to need another little blanket when my parents come to visit anyway, and it's a good way to unwind...

Inside the store, it was thick with decorations for the spring festival. So much red! Not just red lanterns and fireworks and papercuts, either. Red slippers and underwear (lots of that) and jackets. Red "stuffed fireworks" made of cloth--cloth imitation fireworks. Red everything for sale. I got into the spirit and bought myself some of the cheapest silliest decorations. Actually, they make the place feel rather festive.




When I got home, I made another change in my environment as well. I decided that the three tall bamboo plants (rescued from the garbage can, in what has been my only dumpster dive in Beijing) just couldn't keep on living root-bound in the ludicrously small vase on the table. So they moved in with the fish Tashtego. Tashtego is not so sure--he is spending a lot of time in the extreme opposite corner--but I think he will get used to it. Maybe even get to like it. And the bamboos should be happier, assuming they can stand the cold. It's much colder over on the window seat.


I started making a small blanket with my yarn, from a pattern I had copied into the back of a novel just before leaving the States. The novel was not so great, but the pattern, as it turned out, was very nice. It doesn't look like much at present, but I have a good feeling about it. I resolved to go buy more yarn in order to be able to complete it.


It wasn't until after dinner that I actually managed to get started working, but once I did, it was actually quite productive. I worked until after midnight. Thus ends another eventful weekend.

No comments: