Thursday, October 19, 2006

Where Does My Time Go?

These are the days of sweet potatoes and fresh fruit coated with carmelized sugar shining glassily on long bright sticks. It has been perfect fall weather, at last, with the dirty feeling of late summer left behind. And I have been terribly, exceedingly busy and have not had time to post properly. By the end of the day, my brain is so tired, all I want to do is read news or (better) about the lives of extraordinary ordinary people, who are witty and tired and brave and dismayed and stubborn. I know that a few people are disappointed when I fail to scatter a bit of my own news into the general blog mix, though, so I will try to say a few things. I'm sorry that it will have to be a pale and scattered reflection of what I usually write.

Yesterday I saw part two of the Peach Blossom Fan, but much of it was not as good as part one. Long lamenting love-songs could have been cut without being missed, and I would rather have had more of the exciting battles, gallant sacrifices, and dynastic tragedy. I guess that's why I study narrative history rather than traditional Chinese chick novels. But the battles etc. were really exciting, and made it worthwhile for me anyway.

I did work. In the middle of the night I woke up in a panic, realizing that much of what I had done was really off-topic and would end up being cut. I also panicked about several other useless things, such as whether I would have an 8 AM class (I didn't), whether I would hear my alarm clock through my ear plugs, whether I had locked the door, whether the turtles would be too cold. One has no sense of proportion at 4 AM.

I woke up very tired. I went to the National Library and it all went off without a hitch this time. During the long bus-ride I read a totally random copy of Anne of the Island which I had picked at a newsstand that sells a truly bizarre assortment of books from time to time, the dollar table. Never been an Anne-fan (heresy), and thought this one pretty bad too, but somehow it was bad in an enjoyable way that made me want to keep reading it.

Had a rather grubby little lunch in Library cafeteria (funny concept). I got what I needed to get as far as notes are concerned. On the way home, I bought some cleaning supplies, a few minor groceries, and some nasty whole fish for the turtles. They have not been eating, and smelly foods are supposed to entice them. They weren't interested. I am worried about them.

All afternoon, I worked fitfully. Went out briefly and managed to get my department change application form signed by the advisor I had not yet met. It was an embarrassing way to meet: hi, how do you do, I'm fleeing your department. But we carried it off well, I think. Then I ate and came back home to work fitfully some more. My work at this point is about rendering some large chunks of English into small chunks of Chinese, so I can present the main ideas concisely when I meet LGs tomorrow. That is very HARD!

I also had several interchanges with a little Chinese pen-pal I met at a restaurant, and stayed up too late writing a proper bilingual message complete with inspiring story. The Chinese part of my brain is painfully tired, and the other parts too, so I have to get to bed--right now!

No comments: