Monday, May 10, 2010

Long Time No Blog

Sorry to have dropped out of sight. It's been a hell of a semester. I just submitted final grades today. As in, just now. I procrastinated it all day.

Pocket of Bolts: Z, why are you procrastinating putting in your final grades? You finished calculating them all this morning, didn't you?
Zapaper: Yeah.
PoB: Then why don't you just put them in?
Z: ...
PoB: You know, even after you put them in, you can still change them until five o'clock tomorrow.
Z: ...I can?
PoB: I thought that might be what you were worried about.
Z: ...Maybe.

Of course, I had to deal with my very first crying student today. If *only* I would make an exception, he wouldn't get kicked out of school! I held firm but it was very hard to do. Pocket of Bolts says, "Any given student like that thinks they have special extraordinary circumstances. But actually, they *all* have extraordinary circumstances in their lives. Most of them deal with it. Some of them fail. No doubt if you made special exceptions for all the ones that failed, they could almost all avoid failing. But it wouldn't be fair to anyone." I know this is right, and I was annoyed to be made to feel so guilty for ruining someone's life. (I mean, of course he ruined his own life... and only some small part of it too...) But that doesn't mean I didn't feel guilty.

Another amusing thing that happened today was that a water main flooded. I arrived at campus to be greeted with an interesting new lake where there used to be a sidewalk.







I will try to post more.

No comments: