Tuesday, January 08, 2008

New Year Stuff

Here I am in 2008. I won't say that Pocket of Bolts and I made New Years resolutions, per se, because those have kind of a bad name. New Years resolutions seem made to be broken. Let's just say we decided to makes some changes, starting on January 1. Probably the most dramatic change is a more concerted effort to lose some weight, or at least stop gaining so much. Neither of us had ever been on an actual diet before, probably for very similar reasons--the feeling of indignity, disgust with popular culture's obsession with them, and of course pure and joyful enjoyment of self-indulgent eating. But all good things come to an end, and I guess this years is the year we lose our dieting innocence and learn that a bagel is six times more fattening than a pita, and a serving of pork chop should be the size of our palm, etc. Self-indulgent eating had been starting to become a long slippery downhill slope.

Now we are one week and one day into it, and already I look upon a picture like this one with considerable nostalgia. We made these cookies (Pocket of Bolts' mother's family recipe) for a December cookie and cocktail party we went to, where we consumed probably 3000 joyfully sugary and alcoholish calories. Now I haven't had a cookie of eight days. It's not that I COULDN'T have one, but it doesn't seem worth it... Oh well, I still get to enjoy what I call Pocket of Bolts' Jude Law face, a hilarious mock-haughty supercilious look, ha ha. Actually in this particular picture he looks more like an angry butler, but take my word for it, sometimes he looks very much like Jude Law.

Here's me turning over a new leaf in the form of an enormous Asian pear. I actually bought this in East Lansing, at a little Asian grocery by the train station. The guy in the store said that the big ones are most sweet, but my dad said they're all water and don't have very much flavor. I'm not a very good judge right now, being that I'm so hungry everything I eat has a lot of flavor, even things I normally wouldn't touch like skim milk, cabbage, and (shudder) Splenda. Okay, I still think Splenda's incredibly gross, and hoard up my points so that at the end of the day I can have one little piece of real chocolate...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Remember all diets have to follow the basic equation.

Calories in - Calories out = Calories gained

Also your body will switch to higher food efficiency mode if you make yourself hungery. So you actually need to take in even less. Furthermore you will probably feel sluggish, which means you will use up fewer calories. There is a reason why for most people diets often don't work too well.

Also the Atkins people do have something to say. Fat does make you feel more full, so don't strip it out entirely or you will just feel miserable. Also remember sugar does have huge numbers of calories and will never make you full, it can even make you feel more hungry.

And watch out for Fat-Free and Lite foods! They often replace the fat with sugar and other simple carbohydrates and have nearly the same calories and are less filling.

but I am one to talk on BMI scale I show up as 70lbs overweight (my doctor says the real number is about 20)

I have always found exercise more helpful that dieting, but it does require a serious time commitment.

It works best for me if I have multiple things that I do and a regular group to meet up with.

Good luck on your health routine!

ZaPaper said...

Hee hee, clearly you have done some thinking on this topic. Yeah, exercise seems like a real must. Even though it makes me hungry, it makes me feel a lot better, kind of like revving up the engine. Sugar is such a psychological addiction for me that it's really a problem, but I'm at least trying to ramp down...

Thanks for the good wishes.