Tuesday, October 23, 2007

We Go to the Zoo

How I like the Lincoln Park zoo. It's free, that's one thing. Maybe that's the main thing, because I would never go so often if it weren't free. As it is, all the animals start to get familiar after a while. I guess I probably always tend to take pictures of the same animals too. But every time it's a little different. So anywhere, here's the latest round of zoo pictures.



Sleepy sleepy lions. Although one of the lionesses walked around a bit and when a photographer in the crowd roared at her, she roared back. They really put their guts into roaring. I was impressed, although it wasn't too nice of the guy to get her all riled up. After she did her roaring, she just flopped down on her back like she was all worn out.



Rhino looking like a big leathery cow. They had filed down its horns, not sure why. Maybe so it wouldn't break them against things.



The tiger was all on the move. It was quite exciting. It made a regal pass through its cage and then in the outdoors portion. Bored royalty going on a procession to show itself to the commoners. I'm not sure if the blur in the photo is good or bad, but I didn't want to scare the poor guy with a flash.

I've got to say that one of the things I would like to see the Lincoln Park zoo do differently is give more information about the individual animals--their age, sex, how long they've been here, where they came from, stuff like that. When you see the same creatures over and over again, you start to wonder about them.



Pocket of Bolts with three camels. It was getting late and the camels were lined up by their door. Animals are such creatures of habit and routine. Me too!

No comments: