Saturday, October 13, 2007

In Which I Get a New Coat

After the scorcher that was last weekend, we are having what I'm afraid I consider a cold snap. Pocket of Bolts assures me that it's going to get much much worse. Yesterday I decided I needed to buy a coat. Now usually I try not to pay more than $25-30 for an article of clothing, but coats, like shoes, are something that're kind of with you all the time every day, so probably deserve some extra resources devoted to them. I tried on lots, but realized that with my hair as short as it is now, all the ones I would naturally gravitated to (very plain and simple) make me look so androgynous that even I feel a little uncomfortable with it. So this is my version of "girly-coat" (not a very good photo, sorry). Honest, I tried on other colored ones--I'm especially partial to white--but they just looked plain wrong and ridiculous on me.

Today the house was very cold. The heat isn't on yet, but I'm still adjusted for summer. So that combined with yesterday's coat shopping marathon unfortunately brought on a bit of a cold. Naturally, PoB is fighting it off as well, but I think it's about caught me. I spent most of the day in bed, but at least I was working on the dissertation at the same time. Toward evening, we both got restless and tired of merely nursing the cold, so we went out for a walk by the lake. Here are some pictures that PoB took.





2 comments:

Marcelle Proust said...

In most of the winter coats I've ever owned, people call me "sir." In fact, I've frightened some women in public restrooms, quite unintentionally. No one who interacts with me regularly understands this--apparently if you know me, I'm definitely feminine, but the superficial appearance is androgynous. Your hair is very cute, IMHO.

ZaPaper said...

Thanks! I'm impressed by the public restroom one. That's pretty good! My office here is next to the women's studies department, and there are a lot of people more androgynous than me, so I'm okay... also very short for a guy. But still I'm striving to embrace it. :)