Sunday, March 29, 2009

Out Like a Lion

This photo was taken from our living room window looking out into the courtyard, and it was taken today, March 29. The snow has mostly melted by now, but it was really coming down hard all morning, generating huge puddles of icy slush around all the curbs and a general miserable wet winter's-not-through-with-us-yet feeling.

The good news, though, is that my beloved husband is finally home from his travels and so am I, so after nearly a whole month of comings and goings, we can finally settle down again to our comforting and much longed-for routine. The conference for my field was in Chicago this year, and today was the last day of it. I actually did manage to drag myself out for an 8:30 AM panel, and went to another at 10:45, but I can't say I remained conscious the whole time. I was exhausted.

I went home pretty much directly after the second panel. Climbing the stairs to our apartment, I smelled a wonderful smell, which actually turned out to be emanating from OUR place. Pocket of Bolts, who has been in Ireland, had brought back black and white puddings. To go with these, he made eggs, grilled tomatoes, and--get this--even Irish soda bread. Homemade, by him. Dinner was bubbling in the crock-pot, and he had even made stock. It was amazing. We finally got a chance to relax over a big "Irish breakfast" lunch, and start in on all the things we had to talk about it. Since there's nowhere we'd want to go, let it snow!

No comments: