Sunday, April 06, 2008

It Must Be Spring

Yesterday afternoon I went out the door in my down coat as usual. I walked two steps, stopped and thought, something isn't right here. I went back up the stairs, dumped the down coat, and came back down with my lightest jacket over my hoodie. And you know what? I was still a bit warm. All the restaurants are starting to open up their outdoor seating. And get this, on the walk back home I actually stopped and had an ice-cream like dessert while walking back. It was nonfat froyo, not actually ice-cream, but same feeling. Funny, I'm such a stick in the mud. It stays one season long enough and I get to thinking it will always continue that way.

Pocket of Bolts was at a conference this weekend and I was bacheloretting it. That means about what it would mean in the gender reversed situation: I lived on boca burgers and English muffins, stayed up late, slept in, and played video games. However, I also made some serious inroads on my to-do list and cleaned the entire house (badly needed). I even got a little grading done, though I'm still sadly behind.

I've been doing a lot of wedding planning lately (most of the above to-do list items are about that). I haven't blogged about it. It seems...I don't know, like it would be too weird and shallow. It only SEEMS shallow, though. Behind each and every petty decision there is a big underwater iceberg of emotional weightiness. Yes, each and every one, down to what color the buffet linens are and how many corsages we order. A centimeter of space on the invitation. A plastic or a wooden chair. How many appetizers there will be. Whether the ceremony starts at one time or half an hour later. Ordinarily these things aren't very important, but even if I don't care about them other people do. But it's I who have to make the decisions.

I guess (I hope) I'm not a bridezilla. I suppose a bridezilla is someone who actually cares about those things too, who actually believes what the whole scene is trying to convince her (that it's all terribly, terribly important). I don't think I'm that far gone, but I empathize with bridezillas from the very bottom of my heart. It's a strange situation. There's so much to learn, but most of it won't be of any possible use later. (C'mon, when am I going to engage the services of a caterer again anytime in the next 20 years?) You only get one shot, hopefully, and there's no way to do everything right. One decision rests on another, and if you regret one of the early unchangeable ones, you still have to keep on with it.

Well anyway, one advantage of hiring all these people to do things is that once we're done hiring them, hopefully they'll do things more or less okay and we can sit back and actually enjoy it. Mostly what we wanted was a good party, and I hope it will be that. Just a few more things left on the list--photographer, music, registry.

I get high-strung when Pocket of Bolts is not around and get all tired without barely even doing anything. I had a very quiet weekend but still managed to come down with the plague that everyone at work has been suffering from. So far it's just a sore throat and a fever (100.1), but that's unusual for me. Yes mom I've been taking lots of vitamins and resting and drinking a lot of water. I'll probably manage to get rid of it pretty quick. But it's irritating.

I am going to try to post on this blog more now. Maybe not such long posts as this, but at least more often. I think if I don't put pictures on it will be psychologically easier, no mucking around with the camera and photoshop and the blogger uploader and such. And there's actually plenty to say.

No comments: