Thursday, December 07, 2006

Just Some Busy Days

Just a quick post because although I'm behind, I'm tired too. As usual, lots of classes on Monday. But I made a decision that I would not be going to the historiography class anymore. It is up to a period later than my interests will possible stretch, and that 8 AM Monday morning thing is just too much. I did drop in for the first hour, though, to make my apologies to Crystal. Then I went to a coffee-shop on campus I had been meaning to try. It was as good as expected and better. Kind of like walking into a cool American coffee-shop only it was about twice the size--lots of tables. Lots of Americans. Prices about the same as in the US, which is high for here--so not many Chinese. Good place to work!

I spent the two hours doing a really quick chopping up and adding job on my state of the field thing, making it less a state of the field and more a summary of work done. (First time I've thought about the difference, really.) I also spent some of the time in the library, in front of which I happened to see this cat, who just struck me as kind of cute somehow.

It was down to the wire finishing my chopping up job--I worked until 12:00, wolfed down a bowl of chestnut and potato stew while standing up, and then printed the thing out and headed to class. YHz was exceedingly nice to me and said we should meet more often--how about Thursday. I was a bit chastened remembering how my dad always says that professors are like young girls: they don't come courting you. You have to go to them. But I have been intimidated to go to YHz, so she had to come to me. Also, I was put off by her behavior toward me at the conference, which was off in some indefinable way--ungenerous. Well, I would probably be in an ungenerous mood too if I worked my butt off and then sat by and watched my boss get ALL the credit--without my name even being mentioned. Junior faculty raw deal for sure!

I gave her the essay in English--tantamount to admitting I wouldn't be able to translate it fast. Also she'd asked to see it, even in English. I decided I was tired of thinking about the whole thing.

Very tired after her three hour class and another two hour class on top of that. Can't remember exactly what I did--had Ma la tang again, I think, disconcerted by the fact that all the people who work there were enthusiastically trying to speak English to me. Sometimes it's not what you want at the end of a long day.

Tuesday, I barely managed to drag myself out of bed and head off to my 8 AM class. I was very tired in it because I didn't get up in time to have any tea, or even prepare any to bring with. I dozed and took notes alternately. I felt angry at the incredibly intrusive way in which WW was peering at my notes. Yeah so what if they're half in English and half in child-scrawl Chinese. But I didn't show it.

As I was heading home, I got a call from LGs's wife. LGs is in the hospital(!), and would not be able to make our Thursday meeting. I was worried and disappointed, mostly worried. Seventy-seven years old. People who are so full of productive vitality should be given extra time and good health. They deserve it! But no point in such thoughts.

I went to have pulled noodles for lunch, but in my absence they have switched to a declining balance card system. I took some time ascertaining that no, they absolutely would not accept cash, and then left in a fit of pique. I didn't even look in the direction of the noodle chef. It may seem silly, but I don't want yet another declining balance card. I don't see why every place has to have them, and can't accept the legal currency of the land. Must be the sudden temporary influx of income provided by the deposit--or some other reason. I felt bad about the noodle chef, but somehow was too annoyed to want to eat there. Went across the street instead. But I felt the food there was mediocre somehow. Time to start cooking again?

A bit ashamed to admit it, but I dedicated the entire afternoon, just about, to tracking down my birthday package. I had gone on Friday to check for it, but the local post-office (after a long search) ascertained that they didn't have it and that it was at the international post office. As usual on challenging excursions now, I prepared extensively: maps, bus numbers, stuff to listen to en route, alternate routes planned out. Arrived, and received the package without incident. If any of you send me something, try to make sure not to say it's worth very much on the customs form. I think that's what caused the extra problems.

There was a place that had yoghurt in glass jars--not a very common sight--so I got one, remembering how good the last one was. At first sip, I could tell that this one was rotten. It was also warmer than room temperature. Sorry news stand lady, but you can't keep your yoghurt in the heated booth with you. You need to keep it outside the booth. Ugh. It tasted like dead rats smell. I didn't demand my money back or anything, though, because the main thing was acquiring the jar.

I took a taxi back because I decided the extra hour and a half of my time was worth the $3. I proceeded to squander that hour and a half--and more--opening and playing with all my presents! Some I can't post here, but here is a picture of me wearing new pants.

It was grand to get stuff from home. I delighted over all of it. I am so sentimental.

No comments: