Friday, August 04, 2006

Heat and Lightning

This is just a quick post to say that the heat-wave has broken. It was an amazing heat-wave. I couldn't even think while it was going on, let alone do blog posting. I spent most of the time huddled in air-conditioned places, but even the air-conditioners in many places were struggling. All during this, we had a friend of Colin's staying with us, Ade. He will be teaching at DePaul next year, and is moving into a place only a few miles from us. He was staying over because his movers weren't there yet so he didn't have any furniture. This had its upside because Ade was a great house-guest and distracted us from our miseries. And its downside because we only have on air-conditioner, and it's in the living room, not in the bedroom. Ordinarily we sleep in the living room when it's hot, but we're not quite good enough friends with Ade to sleep three in a bed! So we sweated it out in the bedroom, or rather Colin sweated and I lay with my skin very dry and hot like a lizard. I got a spray bottle and sprayed myself with cold water whenever I woke up, and we both took several midnight cold showers just to get our temperature down!

It was worth it, though, to have a great person like Ade all to ourselves for a few days! He was laid-back, funny, clever, full of stories, quick to debate, and he has very fascinating hair. Also, he is an origami master. (Below are some of his pictures from Origami USA conventions, which I borrowed from origami enthusiasts' websites)



He does something involving folding the paper when it is wet, which is what makes it look so sculptural. It's amazing to think people can learn to do these things! But he said he just started from books, and only a few years ago...

Anyway, after Ade left to go to his new apartment, we survived another couple days of heat and then the dawdling cold front finally came in, with a crash. One lightning bolt came down so close, we could hear it crack the air. At right is a picture I took out the bathroom window of the rain starting at dusk. It's hard to see and a little blurry, but I think you can see the puddle on the rooftop. Below is a picture of me dripping wet from sticking my head out the window to take the picture. It was glorious.


Later we went down to the lake and watched the lightnings strike out over the water. It was between thunderstorms, maybe a little dangerous, but none of the lightnings were close. There were other people around, and trees and poles a short distance behind us, so we figured it would be safe for a bit. And it was the most amazing trip to the lake ever. Unfortunately, we don't really have the kind of camera that can photograph lightning. But we saw it with our amazed eyes, forking and branching and zapping across the sky.

After we came home, an even bigger storm hit, and kept on thundering all night. It was hard to sleep, because I could see the lightning flash with my eyes closed. Colin couldn't though. We think he has thicker eyelids. Maybe that's why he is a heavy sleeper and I'm not? Anyway, what a dramatic night!

And the past two days have been cooler, downright pleasant. I have been able to stay home, and have actually gotten a little writing done. It's much harder to do actual writing anywhere but home, because no matter how many heavy books I lug along with me, there are always more that I end up needing. The chapter is coming along slowly, but it's coming. Now I should get back to it...

No comments: